Skip to content
Utah Insurance

Process for Obtaining Permission to Operate a Bail Bond Agency

Obtaining permission to operate a bail bond agency is a 2-step process. The first step is to apply for and receive a bail bond agency license. Under the second step, the agency or the agency’s surety insurer must file all forms that will be used in conducting the bail bond business. Please read the following for details on this process.

Step 1. Applying for and receiving a bail bond agency license.

  • An online application for a bail bond agency license is available and filed through SIRCON. A $260 application fee is paid online with a credit card when filing the application.
  • An applicant must also submit documents showing that the financial requirements for conducting a bail bond business are satisfied. Those documents are described in Utah Code §§ 31A-35-401 through -404.
  • Unlike the application, the financial documents are submitted to the Insurance Department at
  • A complete application will be presented to the Bail Bond Oversight Board for review at its quarterly meeting. (The financial documents will not be presented.) The Board will decide whether to recommend approval or denial.
  • If an application is approved, a copy of the license may be printed from SIRCON.
  • No refund will be issued for a denied application.
  • Bail bond agency license renewals must be submitted annually on or before July 15.

Step 2. Filing forms that will be used in conducting bail bond business.

  • Once a license has been issued, an agency or its surety insurer must file all forms that will be used in conducting business.
  • Forms must comply with Utah Code § 31A-35-607 and Utah Admin. Code R590-225.
  • The forms must be submitted to the department at See Utah Admin. Code R590-225; UID Bulletin 2007-3.
  • Forms must be filed 30 days before they can be used. This means that the agency must wait 30 days from the filing date before it begins doing business.

For questions pertaining to initial bail bond agency licensing, please contact the department’s Producer Licensing group at, or call Heidi Petermann at (801) 957-9246 or Randy Overstreet at (801) 957-9245.

For questions about filing forms, please contact Kathy Stajduhar at or (801) 957-9305.