Applying for a Bail Bond Surety Company license is a 2-step process. The Bail Bond Surety Company must apply for a license as well as file all forms that will be used when conducting bail bond surety business. Both of the processes must be completed correctly and forms must be compliant before a license will be issued. Please read all of the following instructions to insure compliance with all requirements.
Licensing requirements are as follows:
- Submit application for a Bail Bond Surety Company license via SIRCON. Fees are paid online with a credit card. The annual application fee is $260. For code, rules and statutes pertaining to requirements for a Bail Bond Surety Company, please see:
- Backing documentation must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the Bail Bond Oversight Board review form. This form must be filled out in addition to the electronic SIRCON application.
- After the application for a Bail Bond Surety Company is submitted, it will be presented to the Bail Bond Oversight Board at the next meeting for review if:
- The application is submitted at least 48 hours prior to the Bail Bond Oversight Board meeting. If not submitted at least 48 hours prior, the application will not be presented until the next scheduled Bail Bond Oversight Board meeting.
- The Bail Bond Oversight Board meets quarterly.
- The board can recommend the application be approved or denied.
*Please note that if the application is not approved, NO REFUND will be issued.
Form Filing Requirements are as follows:
- A Bail Bond Surety Company applying for a license must also file all forms that will be used in the course of conducting business. For example, all bail bond surety fee standards, collateral standards, and disclosure forms, etc.
- All form filings must be submitted via email at the following address: email@example.com.
- A complete email filing consists of the following:
- The title of the email must display the company name only.
- The NAIC Uniform Property and Casualty Transmittal Document
- Attach all forms intended for use in the course of conducting business.
- FORM FILINGS CAN TAKE 30 TO 45 DAYS TO COMPLETE THE REVIEW PROCESS. If a Bail Bond Surety Company wants the forms reviewed prior to the application being presented to the Bail Bond Oversight Board, the company will need to submit a compliant form filing 30 to 45 days before the next scheduled meeting. Form filings will not be expedited.
- If the Bail Bond Surety Company chooses to submit the forms along with the application it must comply with the 48-hour rule for the submission of the application, but forms will still be reviewed in the 30- to 45-day time frame.
- Anytime a company makes a change to any of the forms previously filed, or has a new form that has not been previously filed, it is the responsibility of the Bail Bond Surety Company to re-file all changes to avoid administrative penalties for using forms that are not filed.
- Once a form filing has been reviewed the company can expect to receive an email with one of the following:
- If the filing is compliant with all applicable Utah Laws and Rules the company can expect to receive an email from the Department telling them that the filing is considered FILED FOR USE and will give a specific date.
- If a filing is not in compliance with applicable Utah Laws and Rules the company can expect to receive a letter from the Department objecting to the filing. The letter will detail the issues and will give the company 30 days to respond.
- If no response within 30 days is received the filing will be prohibited and give the company 15 days to request a hearing.
Once all of the above have been completed and in compliance with Applicable Utah Laws and Rules, a license may be printed from SIRCON.
Bail Bond Surety Company licenses renew on or before July 15 annually.
For questions pertaining to Bail Bond Surety Company licensing, please contact the Property & Casualty Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-957-9305.
For questions pertaining to Bail Bond Surety Company form filings, please contact Kathy Stajduhar at email@example.com or 801-957-9305.