Skip to content
Utah Insurance

Reinsurance Intermediary

UCA 31A-23a-102(8): “Reinsurance intermediary” means:

  • a reinsurance intermediary-broker; or
  • a reinsurance intermediary-manager.

UCA 31A-23a-102(9): “Reinsurance intermediary-broker” means a person other than an officer or employee of the ceding insurer, firm, association, or corporation who solicits, negotiates, or places reinsurance cessions or retrocessions on behalf of a ceding insurer without the authority or power to bind reinsurance on behalf of the insurer.

UCA 31A-23a-102(10): “Reinsurance intermediary-manager” means a person who:

  1. has authority to bind or who manages all or part of the assumed reinsurance business of a reinsurer, including the management of a separate division, department, or underwriting office; and
  2. acts as an agent for the reinsurer whether the person is known as a reinsurance intermediary-manager, manager, or other similar term.
    • Notwithstanding Subsection (10)(a), the following persons may not be considered reinsurance intermediary-managers for the purpose of this chapter with respect to the reinsurer:
      • an employee of the reinsurer;
      • a United States manager of the United States branch of an alien reinsurer;
      • an underwriting manager that, pursuant to contract:
        • manages all the reinsurance operations of the reinsurer;
        • is under common control with the reinsurer;
        • is subject to Chapter 16, Insurance Holding Companies; and
        • is not compensated based on the volume of premiums written; and
      • the manager of a group, association, pool, or organization of insurers that:
        • engage in joint underwriting or joint reinsurance; and
        • are subject to examination by the insurance commissioner of the state in which the manager’s principal business office is located.

Licensing: Pursuant to 31A-23a-801, the Utah Insurance Department licenses both individuals and organizations as Reinsurance Intermediaries. A producer license must be held first before the reinsurance intermediary license will be issued.

Residents or Non-residents may apply online at SIRCON or NIPR.

*We do not require a bond be submitted with the application.