Skip to content
Utah Insurance

Flood Insurance in Utah

Utah is a desert state, with low yearly rainfall amounts. As a result, flooding is not uppermost in the minds of most Utahns until it is too late.

Homeowners insurance does not cover losses due to flooding. Flood insurance policies are available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). If your agent does not write flood insurance you can find one that does by either:

  • Checking your local Yellow Pages directory under “Insurance”
  • Go to the official site of the NFIP. Fill in the information requested to get a list of agents in your general area or call 1-888-379-9531.

To see what is covered under the NFIP flood policy, see the NFIP Dwelling Form.

To get a list of 20 insurance companies selling flood insurance through NFIP in Utah, go to our Market Share Reports and look up the Flood Insurance report for the most recent year.

It’s a good idea to have the same agent who writes your homeowners or other insurance policies also write your flood insurance policy so in the event you need to file a claim, you only have to work with one insurance agency or company.

Be aware that these policies have a 30-day waiting period before they take effect, so the time to purchase is now.

Find out more about flood insurance at FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program site.

To find out what flood zone you live in, and much, much more go to and fill in the “What’s Your Flood Risk?” form.

Special Programs for Homeowners

There are policies known as Difference in Conditions (DIC) policies. They provide catastrophe coverages not normally included in a basic homeowners policy and include earthquake and flood coverages. These programs are offered through many licensees.

As always it is important to understand the policy and coverage it affords. To do so you may want to review a sample policy prior to purchase.

Visit BeReadyUtah for additional information.

Flood links