Renter’s or Tenant’s Insurance Policy

Renter’s or tenant’s insurance primarily protects your personal property and personal liability needs. The renter’s or tenant’s policy is very similar to a homeowner’s policy except it does not provide coverage for the dwelling.

Typically the coverage for your personal property is for specified perils. Other options may be available to you. As in all insurance policies, it is important to understand the coverage, conditions, exclusions, exceptions, and available endorsements.

The annual premium for this type of coverage may be lower than you think. You may want to check with your auto insurance agent about purchasing a policy through the same company that insures your vehicles. Many companies offer multi-policy discounts when the renter’s and auto policy are issued with the same company.

There are many reasons why you should consider the purchase of this type of policy. Discuss with your insurance agent coverage options available to protect you and your assets.

When applying for a new policy, it is always advisable to request a copy of the completed, signed application. Representations made in the application may impact your coverage.

The following links provide additional information regarding renters insurance:

Utah Insurance Department

National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)

Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association (RMIIA)

Disclaimer – Links to Other Websites
As a convenience to our users, the Utah Insurance Department offers links to certain websites created and maintained by other public and/or private entities. The Department has no control over linked sites and cannot guarantee, or be held responsible for materials found on any non-departmental site. A link to another website is NOT a Department endorsement of that site.