Service of Process / Registered Agent

How do I serve a summons or other legal process to the commissioner in place of an insurer?

The commissioner acts as the agent for receipt of service of a summons, notice, order, pleading, or other legal process relating to a Utah court or administrative agency for certain licensees of the Department. Service of process to the commissioner is described in two sections of the Insurance Code:

  • 31A-2-309: Service of process through state officer
  • 31A-2-310: Procedure for service of process through state officer

How do I obtain the name of a Service of Process or Registered Agent for an insurance company?

Click on the “Search for Company/Agent opens in a new tab” link. Click on “Name” tab, then type in the “Company Name.” When the name of the company and contact information comes up below the map, click on the Name of the company to bring up more information about the company, including their Service of Process company.

How does an insurer change the Registered Agent?

Click on “UCAA Forms opens in a new tab“, scroll down to Form 12, Uniform Consent to Service of Process, print it out, complete it, then scan and email to Dava Ann Neal at or mail it to Dava c/o Utah Insurance Department, 4315 S. 2700 W., Suite 2300, Taylorsville, UT 84129.