Business Use Of Your Auto

Does your personal auto policy cover business use of your vehicle?

If you’re using your vehicle for your small business, deliveries, or for other reasons, you may want to double check.

If you use your vehicle for any purpose other than driving to work and pleasure use, you may need a commercial auto policy, or you may need to see if your personal auto policy can be endorsed to cover your specific business use.

Examples of situations where you may need a commercial or business policy, or where you will need to have your current policy changed to provide you with the necessary coverage include, but are not limited to:

  • Delivery (pizza, newspaper)
  • Catering
  • Door-to-door consulting service, such as cosmetics sales
  • Landscaping service
  • Snowplowing service
  • Logging business
  • Realtor
  • Daycare/church retreat van service
  • Farm-to-market delivery

We recommend you discuss any business use of your vehicle with your insurance agent to ensure you are adequately covered. Please keep in mind that your un-endorsed personal auto policy does not cover you if you transport passengers for hire (public livery).