The Health Division, of the Utah Insurance Department, works with the Utah Division of Aging and Adult Services, to provide education to seniors regarding their Medicare choices. This program is called the Senior Health Insurance Program, or SHIP. SHIP operates in every county in Utah and is a national program that offers free one-on-one counseling and assistance to persons with Medicare, and their families.
Call Toll Free, 1-800-541-7735, from anywhere in Utah for assistance, or visit www.daas.utah.gov.
If you are 64+, you are eligible for enrollment in Medicare. Three months prior to your 65th birthday, the month of your birthday, and three months after your 65th birthday, are your opportunities to enroll in Medicare without medical underwriting. These periods (stated above) are known as the “Medicare Open Enrollment Periods.”
What is Medicare?
Medicare is health insurance for:
- Persons 65 or older
- Persons under 65 with certain disabilities
- Persons of any age with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
Components of Medicare:
- Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance)
- Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)
- Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage)
- Medicare Part D (Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage)
Apply online for Medicare