The Utah Insurance Department requires all individuals applying for a resident insurance license to be fingerprinted. Fingerprinting must be done at a Prometric test center, using “live scan” technology, which digitally captures and transmits the fingerprints to the Utah Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), for a criminal history background check. Fingerprinting is not required for resident licensees adding a line of authority to an existing license.
For license types that require passing an examination (i.e.: Resident Consultant, Resident Producer, Resident Surplus Lines Producer, Resident Independent Adjuster, Resident Public Adjuster), the process is as follows:
- The applicant will register for the exam on Prometric’s website or by calling 888-226-8740 to schedule an appointment for the license examination to be done at a Prometric test center. The applicant must schedule the examination appointment and pay the Prometric examination fee before arriving at the test center. In addition to the Prometric examination fees, there will be a $6 Prometric fingerprint processing fee.
- After passing the examination, the candidate will apply online using a kiosk located at the Prometric test center. The license application will include a $28.25 FBI/BCI fingerprint fee* ($13.25 FBI/$15 BCI) that must be made by credit card during the online application process. Upon completing the online application, the applicant must print the SIRCON or NIPR confirmation page and show it to the test center supervisor as proof they have paid the FBI/BCI fingerprint fees.
- After applying for a license online, the applicant will pay the $6 Prometric fingerprint processing fee online or by calling 888-226-8740 and have their fingerprints taken at the Prometric test center.
- Fingerprint results will be returned to the Utah Insurance Department. The department will evaluate the results and the license application prior to issuing any license.
Note: If the applicant passes the examination and leaves the test center, they must return to the test center to have their fingerprints taken. They must present the SIRCON or NIPR application confirmation page when they return to have their fingerprints taken.
For license types that do not require an examination (i.e.: Resident Limited Lines Producer, Bail Bond, Managing General Agent, Reinsurance Intermediary, Navigator, Certified Application Counselor) the process is as follows:
- Make a fingerprinting appointment at a Prometric test center by visiting Prometric’s website or by calling 888-226-8740.
- Pay the $6 Prometric processing fee made payable by money order, cashier’s check, company check, Visa or MasterCard.
- Apply for the license online from your home or office at www.sircon.com/utah or www.nipr.com before arriving at the test center for fingerprinting. You can also apply online using a kiosk at the test center. Payment for both the license application fee and the FBI/BCI fingerprint fee of $28.25 ($13.25 FBI/$15 BCI) must be made by credit card during the online license application process.
- Upon completing the online application, print out the Sircon confirmation page as proof you have paid the FBI/BCI fees. Give the confirmation page to the test center proctor and your fingerprints will then be scanned.
- Fingerprint results will be returned to the Department. The Department will evaluate the results and the license application prior to issuing any license.