Skip to content
Utah Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


What is the fee for a new license?

The fee depends on the type of license you need. Please review the department’s Fee Schedule for more information.

How do I get a Resident Utah License?

The basic requirements for a license are:

  • Must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Must have a Social Security Number.
  • Must be a resident of Utah.
  • Must take and pass any applicable licensing examination. Contact Prometric.
  • Submit an application and appropriate licensing fees online at SIRCON or NIPR.
  • All initial resident license applicants must be fingerprinted.
  • Must meet character requirements under U.C.A. Section 31A-23a-107.

Find more information about licenses on our Licensing page.

How do I get a Nonresident License?

  • Must be licensed in good standing in home state for all lines for which you are applying.
  • Submit an application and appropriate licensing fees online at SIRCON or NIPR.

Find more information about licenses on our Licensing page.

Can I apply for a Nonresident License on-line?

Yes. You can online at SIRCON or NIPR.

How long is a Utah license valid, when do I have to renew?

Individual: The department uses a birth month renewal system. Individual licenses have a birth month renewal/expiration date every two (2) years. For a new license, the first renewal date may be anywhere from 24 to 35 months from the new license issue date and will fall on the last day of his or her birth month. Thereafter, renewals will then continue to be every two years at the end of the licensee’s birth month.

Organization: Organization licenses expire every two (2) years from the date of issuance, on the last day of the month.

If I add a line of authority to an existing license, does it change my expiration date?

No. Adding a line of authority is not adding an additional license. You are amending an existing license; therefore the expiration date does not change.

I want to license my agency. Do I have to keep my individual license? Why do I need both?

Yes, because an agency may only operate through a licensed natural person. In order for an agency to function, it must have a licensed individual to act on behalf of the agency.

Is an appointment with an insurer or designation with an agency required in order to obtain/ hold a license?

No. Appointments and designations are not required to obtain or maintain an insurance license. However, an individual producer may not act as an agent in soliciting, negotiating or binding insurance without either an appointment with an insurer in order to represent or do business for the insurer directly, or a designation to an agency that is appointed to an insurer in order to represent or do business for the agency.

Can an agency license remain active if there are no licensed individuals designated to that license?

The agency license may remain active, but the agency may not operate (sell, solicit, or negotiate) unless a licensed individual is designated to the agency.

Can an individual be designated to more than one agency or appointed to more than one insurer at a time?

Yes. Individuals may be designated or appointed to as many agencies and insurers as they would like.

Can an individual who holds a full lines license sell credit insurance?

Yes. A holder of any of the full lines (Life, Health, P/C) can sell any credit insurance applicable to the full line license that is held.

Is an agent required to notify the department of an address change, and if so, how long does the agent have to notify the department of the change?

All address changes are required to be reported to the department within 30 days of the change. This includes home, business and mailing addresses, as well as phone numbers. All changes should be completed electronically through SIRCON or NIPR and must be done by the license holder only. This applies to both individuals and agencies.

Individuals should note that when changing a mailing or business address, it is permissible to use one’s residence address, but that information will become public information.Whenever possible, the producer should use his business address as his mailing address. Business addresses, phone numbers, and fax numbers are public information, but residence information is not disclosed to anyone.

How long are test scores valid after passing the exam?

Test scores are valid for 90 days after passing the exam. After 90 days the exam is no longer valid and must be re-taken.

After I submit my license application and test scores how can I verify the status of my license application?

Use our Licensee Search tool. When your license has been processed it will appear there. The website is updated frequently throughout the day. License application status can also be checked on the SIRCON website under the link “Check license renewal status” or “Check license application status.”

*Once the license is approved, the license can be printed from SIRCON, using the “Print a license” link.

Normal processing time is within 5-10 business days, once we have all required information.

Does a person have to be licensed to receive a commission?

Yes, they must be a licensed producer. Only those who are legally licensed and hold the same lines of authority for the type of policy sold can receive any portion of a commission from a sale of insurance. This does not prohibit the payment of an override commission to an agency or person who does not sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance in this state, unless the payment would constitute an inducement or commission rebate.


How often do I renew my insurance license?

Licenses are renewed every two years, with the exception of bail agencies, which are renewed annually. For more specific details, see the above answer to the question, “How long is a Utah license valid?”

When does my continuing education need to be complete?

All CE should be completed before submitting the renewal application. The required CE hours must be completed prior to renewing the license. A license renewal application will be rejected if the CE requirement has not been met.

*All CE must be posted by the provider before a renewal will be processed. Time must be allowed for this process, therefore we recommend not waiting until the last minute to renew the license.

Is a limited license producer required to complete continuing education?


Is an agency required to have continuing education?

No. Only individuals are required to complete continuing education for license renewals.

What is the cost to renew a license?

The fee depends on the type of license you’re renewing. Please review the department’s Renewals & Reinstatements page for more information.

Does a producer have to re-test or be fingerprinted if his license lapses?

A producer reinstating a lapsed license within one year of the license expiration date must complete the required 24 hours of CE (12 for title insurance), 3 of which must be in ethics, and pay the reinstatement fee. The producer is not required to re-test or be fingerprinted during the one-year reinstatement period. After one year, the person will have to re-apply as a new license applicant, including passing any required examination and being fingerprinted for a criminal background check.

What if a producer wants to drop a line of authority before he renews his license?

A producer who drops a line of authority will still be required to complete the required 24 hours of CE (12 for title insurance) hours and pay the renewal fee in order to renew the license. To add the line of authority at a later date, the licensee must then pay an additional $25 fee. If it is added beyond one year from the date it was dropped, the licensee must re-test for the line of authority and pay the $25 fee.

Can all the continuing education hours be done either online or through home study methods?

At least half of all total required hours must be completed through “classroom” courses, as defined in Rule R590-142-3, and which may include classroom equivalent courses, such as those offered via teleconference, webinar, etc.

How far back can I start using my C.E. credits?

You may start using CE credits completed one day after the expiration/renewal date to count towards your next renewal. Even if you renewed the license before the expiration date, you must still wait until after the last renewal period ends before you start taking classes for the next renewal.

How do I renew my license?

Resident or nonresident individuals and agencies can renew online at SIRCON or NIPR.

You will need a Visa, MasterCard, or electronic check in order to renew your license online. You can renew until 10 pm Mountain Standard Time on the renewal date.

If you have not received your renewal notice, it may be because you have failed to update your address online. Please be sure to update your address on the online renewal application.


How long after I have a change of address must it be reported to the department?

It must be reported within 30 days. Failure to notify the department of an address change may result in the licensee not receiving important notifications and can result in a penalty fee being assessed.

How can I go about changing the address on my license?

You can update your address on-line at SIRCON or NIPR.

How do I request a letter of certification?

The department no longer requires nor issues Letters of Certification. If another state requires one, the licensee can obtain it electronically through SIRCON.

How do I get a Letter of Clearance when moving to another state?

A Letter of Clearance may be requested when the resident producer is leaving the state and wishes to be licensed in another state.

At this time, clearance letter requests are not available through SIRCON or NIPR. To obtain a Letter of Clearance, please submit the Clearance Letter Request Form by faxing to 385-465-6055 or emailing as a PDF attachment to

If you wish to convert your resident license to a nonresident license, please complete Clearance Letter Request Form with your new residential, mailing and business addresses, new phone numbers, and email address. We will issue you a nonresident license free of charge.

**Please be aware that the expiration date of your nonresident license will be the same as your resident license. You must obtain your resident license in your new home state within 60 days of issuance of a nonresident license in the State of Utah. If the new license is not obtained within 60 days, your Utah nonresident license will be inactivated for failure to maintain a home state license. Reinstatement fees will be assessed if you wish to reactivate.

How do I get a hard copy of my license?

Effective October 1, 2008, the Utah Insurance Department no longer mails hard copies of new, renewal, or duplicate licenses. If you would like a hard copy, you can print it yourself by going to SIRCON, and clicking on the link entitled “Print Your License.” This license printing service is free at Sircon for up to 30 days after license approval and renewal for license applications and license renewals completed through Sircon. If you have applied for or renewed your license through another vendor other than Sircon, you may still use the license printing service (fees may apply).

You can print your license as soon as it has been issued. To see if a new or renewal license has been approved and issued you can either:

  • Go to SIRCON and click on “Check license application status” or “Check license renewal status.”
  • Use the department’s Licensee Search tool.

What is the physical address of the Utah Insurance Department?

The department’s physical address is:

Utah Insurance Department
4315 S. 2700 W., Suite 2300
Taylorsville, UT 84129

The Producer Licensing Division of the Utah Insurance Department is located on the second floor of the Taylorsville State Office Building.

What is the phone number, fax number and e-mail address for the Producer Licensing Division?

You can find division contact information on the Producer Licensing Personnel page.

What is the best way to obtain forms from the department?

License applications and forms are available on the department’s website under Forms Related to Licensing.

What is the turnaround time for most requests?

Most requests are processed within 5-10 business days, once all required information is received.

Can I pay for my renewal over the phone with a credit card number?

No. Renewals are completed online at SIRCON or NIPR. You will enter your credit card information at the end of the application.

Where can I obtain license verification?

The information is available free of charge by using the department’s Licensee Search tool. If you are a subscriber to SIRCON or NIPR, you can get the information on their websites.

I am an adjuster in my home state, but my state does not require a license. Can I be licensed in Utah?

Independent and Public Adjusters are required to be licensed in Utah. The guidelines are as follows:

If the resident state DOES license for the adjuster license, we will generally have reciprocity with that state and will issue a license based upon your compliance with your resident state. Applications are completed electronically via SIRCON or NIPR.

If your resident state DOES NOT license adjusters, we will issue a license if you either already hold a Designated Home State (DHS) license in another state, or pass our exam and fingerprint requirement and choose Utah as your DHS.

Do you license staff adjusters?

The State of Utah does not license staff adjusters, per UCA Section 31A-26-201.